Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"You're not in the South anymore, Dorothy."

-that's what my mom said to me as I told her my surprise at an act of kindness refused.

We live right on Douglas here in our town, and the road is being widened. The men cutting down trees were right behind our house all morning and did a fantastic job. Luke and I know-because we watched them. The machinery is so loud, and I'm sure they can't hear each other, but they worked seamlessly, as a team. It was very cool to watch. They also accomplished much more than I was anticipating in such a short time!
All that to say, we made them cookies and took the cookies out to their supervisor...well, he refused to take them! He wasn't rude, but he would not accept the cookies, and didn't give a reason why. I can come up with many different scenarios that could explain why, but really I was surprised.
I was reminded that when we moved here, a similar situation occurred with our mail-person.
It is very sad, to say the least, when your attempts at kindness are refused.

But we can sit here and watch them work (probably all summer) and hope that they appreciated the gesture.

'...not in (the South) anymore', to be sure.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's crazy. Most people love cookies! ;) I remember when I was little, my Dad and I were going door to door getting signatures for something. It was really cold, and we went to this one house with an older man and he invited us into his house. It was warm and I think he gave us cookies and he signed whatever it was. Kindness offered and kindness accepted! :)

Ashley said...

Let's list some scenarios... That's a fun game. I recently played it with my friend from Dallas who was driving down the interstate next to a convertable. This convertable had the top down, but the driver had a wide brimmed hat, long gloves, long sleeves, sun glasses, and a scarf on... We finally decided that she thought she was famous even though no one else did and that she was hiding from the paparazzi. Our second best bet was she had a sun allergy but won the sun-lovin-car through a crazy fluke radio give-away.


I think that those men are, in the winter time, actually Santa and his elves. Santa ALWAYS takes the summer off from cookies, DUH! And since kids are getting smarter these days, he's got to make up a little moolah by moon-lighting as a tree-chopper.

Brittany said...

That is good! although it dispells the rumors that elves are short...

I was going with the not so fabulous scenario of: the city has been getting nasty letters and phone calls b/c people don't want the road expanded into their backyards, and their nice big trees cut down. So they didn't take the cookies b/c they don't want to get poisoned.
Sad world we live in.

Ashley said...

Well, Debbie Downer, my version is definately the one I'm going to stick with.

Brittany said...

I think I prefer yours too!

My Radio


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed